We had a jam making day today. Mixed Berry Jam, and, I tried out a new recipe this year for Smokey Red Tomato Jam from this book. It is delicious! I think it will be even better in the middle of winter with some strong cheese and bread, in memory of the summer sun. For the Mixed Berry Jam, I just used the basic method from Chelsea with a mixture of blueberries, strawberries, blackberries and strawberries. Yum! The girls hovered in and out of the kitchen telling me continuously how delicious it smelt.
Mixed Berry Jam
1kg Mixed Berries*, hulled and rinsed (I used strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries)
1kg Chelsea Jam Setting Sugar
A Knob of Butter (10g)
- Crush berries coarsely with a potato masher or blender.
- Place strawberries and sugar in a large, heavy based 6 litre pot.
- Heat mixture over a low heat until sugar is dissolved. Do not allow to boil.
- Add a knob of butter then increase heat and bring to a full boil (a boil that cannot be stirred down).
- Boil for 4 minutes only. Remove from heat, skim off any foam, test for set and bottle in pre-sterilised jars
* You can use fresh or frozen berries for this.
On a another note. I came across a wonderful blog the other day, Baking for Hospice. It is a fantastic concept, and hopefully in time will spread throughout New Zealand.